Who are you callin’ a cream puff?
‘Cream Puff’ is not just a wimpy or sissy person. It is also a pastry that is filled with cream and topped with an assortment of things, like chocolate, caramel, ice cream, icing sugar and fresh fruit.
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup butter cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ¾ cup of whipping cream
Making the cream puffs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Grease a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of butter.
- In a bowl stir together flour and sugar.
- In a saucepan on medium high heat bring ¾ cup of water and ⅓ cup butter to a boil. When boiling, remove mixture from heat and quickly stir in the flour mixture. Beat mixture with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and leaves the side of the pan, forming a ball of dough.
- Gradually add beaten eggs to dough. Beating until mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Drop dough ( approximately ⅛ of a cup for each puff) evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees until puffy and golden brown (approximately 15-20 minutes)
- When baked pierce 1 side of puff with a knife to allow for steam to escape.
- Prepare whipping cream as per manufacturers directions
- When cooled, fill with prepared whipped cream. (I use a pastry bag filled with the whipped cream and a long tip.)
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
Making the chocolate sauce
- Stir together the butter, chocolate pieces and whipping cream over a low heat. Stirring constantly until butter and chocolate are melted and sauce is warm.
- Top the cream puffs with chocolate sauce.