This is one of Miguel’s favorite dishes that I cook for him. He eats an enormous amount of it, there is barely enough left over for his lunch the next day. He douses it with vinegar which kinda offended me at first but now I would not eat mine any other way.
This is a quick and easy dish could be used as a side dish but I think it is hearty enough to serve on its own with crusty rolls or bread.
I like to use instant rice because as a busy mom of 2 kids and it saves me time and every minute counts.
- 1 pound of cubed uncooked chicken seasoned with salt and pepper
- 250 grams of mild or hot chorizo thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped or 1/2 tsp of prepared minced garlic
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 540 ml can of six bean blend rinsed and drained
- 540 ml can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups of uncooked instant rice
- 1 ½ cups of chicken stock
salt and pepper
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute chicken until cooked.
Add garlic and onion and cook until they begin to soften, add chorizo and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
Add six bean blend, tomatoes and corn and cook for additional 3-4 minutes or until corn is thawed and all ingredients are heated through.
In a separate sauce pan heat the chicken stock until boiling then add 1 ½ cups of uncooked instant rice. Remove from heat and let stand for approximately 5 minutes or until rice is cooked and softened.
Add rice to mixture and mix all ingredients until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
**Any liquid remaining from the tomatoes will be absorbed by the rice
**For an extra kick you could add ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes or ½ teaspoon of cumin or ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I prefer mine without.